1919: ACU Six Days’ Trial

1919 6DT AW

For its peacetime return the Auto Cycle Union’s Six Days’ Trial moved west. If many of the place names were unpronounceable, some lousy weather and gruelling mountain tracks must have made the returning heroes feel right at home. Inevitably the man from The Motor Cycle was at the heart of the action…

“THE AUTO CYCLE UNION’S SIX DAYS Reliability Trials, with Llandrindod Wells as a centre, covers a course of 732½ miles, embracing most of the noted Welsh mountain tracks and precipitous hills. Llandrindod Wells this week is the Mecca of all enthusiastic motor cyclists and those manufacturers who follow with close interest the performances of their own as well as rival manufacturers’ machines. The splendid entry of 115 machines is thoroughly deserved by the Auto Cycle Union, for none will deny that the governing body’s events are always well arranged and splendidly organised, which, of course, is as it should be. British-made machines naturally predominate. One wishes that Italian and Belgian machines could have figured among the lists to give the event a more international character. As it is, the solitary entry of a GL machine represents France, whilst the reputation of the United States is being worthily upheld by the Harley-Davidson, Indian, and Henderson. Competitors converged on the popular Central Wales resort from all corners of the British Isles, mostly, be it said to their credit, by road, though many journeyed by rail. And what weather it was to welcome them. Pouring rain, greasy roads, and the surrounding hills obscured by rain clouds. Though described as a six-day event, the 1919 ACU reliability trial is a five-day, or more correctly a four-and-a-half day event, for Monday was devoted to official inspection and sealing, whilst the sixth day (Saturday) will be taken up by a thorough examination of the competing machines by the judges, since ‘condition’ marks will again enter largely into the final classification of the competitors.

“Weighing the machines was one of the first items of the Six Days Trial. This was carried out at Llandrindod Wells Goods Station under the supervision of Mr AW Torkington, the newly-elected chairman of the Auto Cycle Union.”

Monday’s route: 98½ miles: Llandrindod, Builth, Garth (consistent driving test), Brecon, Llangynidr, Abergavenny, Talgarth, Builth, Llandrindod. The return journey from Abergavenny was undertaken in the dark and included a lamp test.
Ideal riding conditions prevailed on Monday in contrast to the inclement weather of the two previous days. The morning was devoted to replenishing and sealing the vital parts of the machines, and arranging them in marked off spaces in the Drill Hall and at Tom Norton’s garage adjoining the railway station. There was more than the usual scene of animation outside, for the interest in this year’s event is exceptional. Many prominent trade representatives were there, not only watching their own riders’ interests, but intently examining the features of other makes of machines…Early competitors were up in arms against the consistent driving test. They argued, not without good reason, that it was rather a test of the driver than of the machine. Certainly, the Six Days Trials are regarded as tests of motor cycles and, so far as is possible, the personal factor should not enter into the condition of awards. Generally speaking, the performances were not brilliant…there were, however, notable exceptions. Hardee climbed well, as did all the Matchless machines. The Velocettes and the Levis ridden by Pike made no mistake…the

“The clock outside the official garage, with the competitors’ numbers arranged around the dial, indicating their starting times. A feature of this year’s trial was the crediting of ten marks of the 200 total for ‘silence’. On the first day each machine passed en route an audiometer invented and operated by Maj AM Low.”

Dot-JAPs made impressive climbs, and the Triumphs were noticeably fast on the upper reaches, even with sidecars attached. Drew’s New Imperial did well, also Moffatt’s 3½hp Douglas and Stevens’s single-cylinder James sidecar…the Scotts were much admired by the spectators. The Blackburnes and Rovers performed conspicuously. Applebee’s BSA travelled well, but Chambers, on a 3½hp sidecar of the same make, was naturally slow, and was passed by Bees (LMC) and Peek (Ariel), but later Bees stopped on the top bend…The positions of the timekeepers were not sufficiently clearly marked, but the route generally is splendidly arrowed…The test hill of the day was shortly after the 41st mile. Starting up in a sinuous climb through Llangynidr a rough lane led to the crucial point, a sharp right-hand corner on a steep gradient, followed by a two-mile ascent. Eleven competitors tailed, one, Barker (10hp Henderson sc), owing to his gear lever slipping into neutral. Restarting he wrenched off his front tyre. A long descent followed, to Abergavenny, where tea was taken and lamps lit. Quite a number of machines were fitted with dynamo lighting sets, including the new Lucas Magdyno, while dry battery and accumulator equipment were much in evidence…The competitors were arriving up to eleven o’clock, and before returning to the garage the tanks had to be replenished…Dr Low, whose audiometer was installed on Panne Hill, tells us that the results were disappointing, except for a few notably silent machines.

“Over the mountains near Yspytty Ystwytli. GA Strange (3½hp James) leading H0 Wood (3¾hp Scott) and H Pattinson (4hp Triumph). The illustration conveys a good idea of the scenery in this comparatively little known part of Wales.”

Tuesday’s route: 160¼ miles: Llandrindod, Howey, Newtridge-on-Wye, Llanafan-fawr, Garth, Llangam-march, Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, Llandovery, Llanwrda (brake test), Llansawel, Llanbyther, Bronwydd Arms, Conwil Elvet, Newcastle Emlyn (lunch control). Newcastle Emlyn, Aberayron, Cross Inn, Ystrad Meurig, Yspytty Ystwyth, Head of Elan Valley, Rhayader, Llandrindod.
The best of weather again favoured the trial, and, thanks to excellent organisation, the competitors got away well up to time, and Llandrindod was left by the same road as on Monday, but a mile or two out, on the Builth road, an arrow directed us over a rough and rather greasy lane. Several short hills needed attention on account of their surfaces, and Danskin (3½ Rover) skidded but fortunately received no more damage than a cut knee and a dented mudguard…The mist was still lying in the valley, but was soon dispelled by the increasing power of the sun. Many single-figure gradients were encountered but there were no hills sufficient to test the powers of a modern machine, though the surface in places needed very careful negotiation. The ascent of the Sugar Loaf in particular would be considered unrideable by the average tourist, as prolonged timber hauling had caused deep ruts…The Emlyn Arms at Newcastle Emlyn was the appointed lunch stop, the machines being parked in a field behind the hotel. Here Watson’s Ariel caught fire during the refilling process, but the flames were extinguished without damage. A sharp hill out of the town was lined with spectators, but beyond bumpy roads there was no very noticeable feature till the sea came into view during the long descent to Aberaron…the piece de resistance of the day was a long hill near Yspytty Ystwyth. This hill is the worst encountered so far, but even so it is not very trying in dry weather, and only one short piece of steep gradient was included. Following the hill came a long stretch of moorland road, grass-grown most of the way, and including more watersplashes and cross gulleys than it is possible to mention…At the head of Elan Valley real roads were again encountered, and a beautiful run by the side of the Birmingham Corporation reservoir led to Rhayader. The run in from this town was over perfect roads which came as a relief to everyone as the day’s gruelling had more effect on the riders than on the machines.

“The 1920 chain-driven Triumph, with the new Triumph gearbox and improved front fork, ridden by G Shemans, who is seen on the right. I Rutherford (3½hp Sunbeam), of Cumber and whose highly creditable showing secured him a gold medal.”

Wednesday’s route: 152¼ miles: Llandrindod, Rhayader, St Harmon Tylwch, Llanidloes, Stay-a-Little, Llanbiynmair, Cemmaes Road Station, Dlnas Mawddwy, Bwlch-y-Groes, Bala (lunch control). Bala, Llanwddyn. Cann Office, Llanfair Caereinion, Newtown, Dolfor, Beguildy, Knighton Bleddfa, Llandrindod.
In comparison with the two previous days’ runs, Wednesday’s trip, with the exception of Bwlch-y-Groes and the notorious Hirnant Pass, was voted comparatively easy. That was the consensus of opinion of the competitors ; but we must say that the rough going in parts, the myriads of hairpin bends, coupled with the two steep ascents aforementioned, have made a lasting impression on our memory—and . a temporary impression upon our anatomy. Why do makers hesitate so long with spring frames? It was again fine, but a thick mist for the first forty miles or so prevented goggles from being worn. There was a considerably depleted list of starters this day, but the survivors travelled most regularly, a puncture here and there, or a throttle slide stuck being the trivial adjustments observed by the roadside. A northerly direction was followed on Wednesday to Llanidloes, some of the roads being so narrow that a sidecar almost brushed the hedges by the roadside. The climb at Tylwch, with the usual hairpin bend on a single figure gradient, was the only ascent of note. The arrows led the riders through magnificent scenery, past the lead mines, up Fan Hill to Stay-a-Little, which climb appeared easy, and, indeed, the protruding rocks and the tortuous course, a watersplash or two, as well as the little acclivities, sunk into oblivion compared to the tit-bit of the morning’s run, viz, the ascent of Bwlch-y-Groes (The Pass of the Cross), which, commencing with an acute bend to the right on a single figure gradient, rises 1,790 feet in two miles. We arrived just ahead of the competitors, and were thus able to observe the whole of the performances from the top bend, which gives a wonderful panorama of scenery and a splendid view of the steepest stretch. The official ACU sidecar led the way and, as a foretaste of what the many spectators were likely to see, the engine jibbed after passing through the gate, and the driver dismounted and ran alongside—it should be observed that a very hot pace had been maintained from Llandrindod. FJ Watson (6hp Ariel sc) led the way, followed by J Emerson (3hp ABC), and both did well. Then several competitors were observed in the distance o come to a standstill, among them W Drake (3½hp P&M) and GD Hardee (8hp Matchless), so that the P&M and Matchless teams lost marks. TBG Vale (3½hp Ariel) climbed very steadily, and Creak Davis (Chater-Lea sc) received quite an ovation for the masterly way in which he avoided GE Stobart (5-6hp James sc) and EF Chidley (3½hp P&M), who came to a standstill on the steepest stretch. D Alexander (8hp Enfield) stopped, restarted almost immediately, and finished well. Splendid ascents were made by T Rutherford (3½hp Sunbeam), who is riding most consistently, and the Scott team. The performances of the last-named riders have evoked much praise, their sure and silent climbing being a feature of the trial. JH Place (8hp Dot sc) stopped due to overheating, since after a brief rest he restarted and finished well.

“Two high-powered sidecars the big trial: R Creak Davis on his 8hp Chater-Lea; note the transverse exhaust outlet. H Reed with the new 8hp Dot-JAP, a smart machine finished in red.”

Victor Horsman (4hp Norton) was notable for an impressive ascent, as also R Lewis (3½hp P&M) and F Turvey (4¼hp BSA). EF Goodman (2¼hp Velocette) found the hill too steep, but these baby machines are, nevertheless, gaining much credit for their reliable running. HF Edwards (4¼hp BSA) just got up, but FW Applebee, to the wonder of his confreres, climbed up quite easily and got a well-deserved ovation. PW Moffat (3½hp Douglas) behaved as a veteran competition rider usually does, and seemed to have plenty in hand ; de la Hay (3½hp Sunbeam) and Harry Reid (8hp Dot sc) performing equally well. S Parker on an 8hp Enfield passed P Pike (2¼hp Levis) on the steepest gradient, and both performed excellently; but Merrall found the 1 in 4 stretch just too steep for his 1915 8hp Morgan. Enticknapp (4hp Blackburne) and H Greaves (10hp Morgan) in close company made excellent climbs, whilst Guise (8hp Enfield sc) stopped but restarted well…Brown (5hp Zenith) dismounted when apparently going well, and then hopped on to the footrest again…Jones 3½hp Ariel sc) stopped and gave the spectators a thrilling five seconds when his machine commenced to run back, for a sheer drop awaited him on one side. He managed, however, to back his machine into the bank on the opposite side, colliding with a non-competitor’s machine in the process…A thoughtful spectator with a huge telescope proved most useful in announcing the number of the competitors who stopped on the lower reaches…Lane (4¼hp BSA) had a sporting passenger, who, after pushing and running, finally took a flying nose dive into his seat again…At five minutes to one all the riders—now totalling less than 100—had passed Bwlch-y—Groes, twenty seven riders failing on the hill. Thence followed a run to Bala for lunch, the homeward trip commencing with the difficult climb up the Hirnant Pass, notable for the scores of gulleys running diagonally across the road, to Lake Vyrnwy. Several riders failed on the ascent, which was too narrow to permit sidecars to pass one another without extreme danger. The descent was equally rough until the wild scenery gave place to a gorgeous view of the lake shimmering through the tall trees in its peaceful grandeur. Hereabouts we commenced to notice spanners, tyre levers, and spare parts, and, finally, the tool roll, strewn over the road, and stopped six times in the same number of miles to gather them. Our pockets bulging we sped on, and after many miles overtook Eric Williams (6hp AJS), whose toolbag we noticed unfastened. The owner of the tools was very grateful, but, unluckily, he stopped finally with gear box trouble, during the afternoon…from the crowds in the towns and villages, not to mention the school children who turned out in force, the riders received many a cheer. According to a facetious remark in the A.C.U. programme the main road to Llandrindod Wells is so badly cut up (ye gods! what roads we have had already!) that a detour was made over the Kerry Hills to Knighton and Penybont. Near the end Stordy (2¾hp AJS) suffered a dry skid, and damaged himself so that he retired. Davies (2¼hp Velocette) walked in with a flat back tyre, his engine propelling his machine…Capt Lindsay (3½hp Norton) had a curious accident. A piece qJ rag which he keeps tucked in a corner between the handle-bar fittings was jolted out and became mixed up with the countershaft sprockets. However, he managed to get home close on time…Place (8hp Dot-JAP) elected to retire owing to a broken sidecar frame, but, in the main, competitors reported non-stop runs and an enjoyable day despite the hills and the dust.

1919 6DT 2 NORTONS
“Norton double purpose machines in the trial. Capt A Lindsay solo and Sawer with sidecar. They secured gold and silver medals respectively.”

Thursday’s route: 159¾ miles: Llandrindod, Newbridge-on-Wye, Builth, Garth, Llangammarch, Llanwrtwd, Llandovery, Pumpsaint, Lampeter, Tregaron, Ypsytty-Ystwyth, Devil’s Bridge (lunch control), Devil’s Bridge, Aberystwyth, Bow Street, Machynlleth, Stay-a-Little, Llanidloes, Tylwch, St Harmon, Rhayader and Llandrindod.
To-day’s run has been characterised by a curious mixture of good and bad roads. There was no particular feature in the morning’s trip, except a second ascent of Yspytty Ystwyth hill. A mile from the start Watson had trouble with his intake system, but was soon under way again. Good roads were the order of the day for the first forty miles, and a sharp hill between Builth and Garth caused no trouble, on account of its excellent surface. Near Garth, Creak Davis had trouble with his gear box, and was forced to retire—an unfortunate occurrence, as he had been running very consistently up to this point. Hereabouts Ashby (2½hp Connaught) was encountered with magneto trouble. Though his magneto would spark, he could get no power out of his engine for some mysterious reason, and he was therefore compelled to retire. Some of the moorland hills in this section were long and exposed, and beautiful views would have been obtained had the atmosphere been clearer. From Pumpsaint to Lampeter the roads were rough and trying to the rider, but no further hills were encountered till Tuesday’s route was joined near Yspytty Ystwyth. Capt CP Wood (3¾hp Scott) made the ascent of the hill on top gear in spite of a flat back tyre, and though he had but five minutes to spare to the lunch stop at Devil’s Bridge he put in a new butt-ended tube in two and a half minutes and reached the Hafod Arms Hotel five minutes later. Emerson had a bad puncture just before lunch, but

“DH Noble and his 5-6hp Rover, which embodies several features that will probably be standardised. These include wider mudguards and a chain guard in lieu of the enclosed case. The 8hp New Imperial with Henderson sidecar ridden by WR Haggas. A very complete accumulator lighting equipment was fitted to this outfit.”

made up time—no easy matter—between Devil’s Bridge and Aberystwyth, and changed both tube and cover. The early riders had the better conditions, for a slight drizzle turned to rain in earnest and the wind howled ominously. Such uncomfortable conditions had been unknown hitherto during the trial. Brown (3½hp Sunbeam sc) came to a standstill, Chambers (3½hp BSA sc) dismounted and assisted his machine, though his engine continued to tug away manfully. When bunching occurred it was bad for all concerned, for the condition of the pass was such that it was often impossible for one machine to pass another. The Scotts and Zeniths in particular were noticeable for fast solo climbs, and generally the reliable running and wonderful top gear climbing of the Scotts has been something to marvel at. The Blackburne and P&M riders impressed us by their steady and sure ascents. Lane (4¼hp BSA) found the combination of steep gradient, loose stones, and gulleys too much for his mount, as did Kitcher (2¾hp NewImperial). Among the very best passenger ascents were Colliver (Indian sc), who has ridden most consistently throughout. Charlie Collier, with HA in the sidecar, had bad luck, for in riding side by side with another sidecarist he was forced on to reefs of rock now thoroughly wet and slippery. Though neither driver nor passenger moved from their seats and the back wheel always continued to spin, the front wheel stopped momentarily, but a penalty ought not to be suffered on that account, since they moved away immediately by merely bumping the driving wheel. On the hill we chatted with James R Haswell, the old Triumph rider in Six Days and Brooklands events, who was enjoying the fun as a spectator. The terribly rough going brought many ‘remarks’ from competitors as they passed us. Even after the gruelling ascent, the conditions did not improve, for the ‘road’ wound round a ridge on the mountain side for miles past disused lead lines, over innumerable caniveaux of varying depth—some almost dangerous. No wonder sidecar frames gave trouble, few cars could survive such terrible going. Harry Reed broke his sidecar chassis, but put up a wonderful performance by bringing the damaged outfit home throughout the afternoon’s run by means of roped sidecar supports. Every sportsman admired his grit. Nearing home we passed Fairley (3hp ABC), who owing to a broken oil pipe had a seized engine, and he was finally towed home behind a press car. An unlucky incident occurred at the finish when a competitor who finished rather fast struck the near of Sheman’s Triumph sidecar outfit and fractured the lug supporting the rear down tube. It was repaired by a blacksmith under official observation during the night, to enable the sidecar to finish.

“Four types of James machines at the trial. T Stevens (4¼hp single sc), GE Stoban (5-6hp twin sc), GA Strange (3½hp twin), JF Lidstone (2¼hp two-stroke).”

Friday’s route: 161¾ miles: Llandrindod, Builth, Garth, Beulah, Llanwrtyd, Llandovery, Llangadock, Pontardavife, Neath, Swansea (lunch control), Swansea, Pontardulais, Llanddarog, Llanfynydd, Abergorlech, Llansawel, Caio, Cilyewm, LlanJairar-y-bryn, Llangammaich, Garth (consistent driving test), Builth and Llandrindod.
The last day’s run of the trial started on a showery morning, and from rumours concerning the nature of the course, many competitors started with the idea that they had a difficult day before them. In this they were correct, and the opinion was frequently expressed by solo riders that Friday afternoon’s run was the most trying part of the whole trial…On leaving Swansea for the ninety-two mile homeward run, a stiff head wind gave extra work to the engines. Undulating roads continued to Pontardulais, where the first long ascent of the afternoon was tackled. Following the descent of the far side of this hill there came a mile and a half of really good climbing, but the gradient was not sufficient to worry the surviving competitors. A series of narrow and rough lanes was next negotiated and, though the rain had cleared off, the surface was in a treacherous condition. HF Edwards (4¼hp BSA) skidded completely round in one spot, and we found him examining himself and his machine. Fortunately, no harm was done. Close to Caio quite a deep watersplash had to be crossed, and soon after came a steep rocky hill the surface of which had been repaired with loose earth and turf. Then followed a villainous descent where timber waggons had formed such deep ruts that solo riders had all their time taken up to remain in the saddle, and a few failed in this endeavour. Amongst these was Horsman (3½hp Norton), who took a nasty fall, but managed to continue, though his tank was damaged and petrol was leaking. Near Cilycwm, Merrall (8hp Morgan) ran over

“By coincidence three press representatives were propelled by Blackburne engines.”

a dog and damaged his rear wheel, and this was the cause of continued trouble with chains which spoilt an otherwise magnificent performance on a 1915 model. There was just one arrow missing near this spot, which caused some delay and a considerable discussion, but matters ended satisfactorily. A deep watersplash heralded a stretch of greasy lanes in which it was impossible to keep a solo machine straight for any length of time, and the conditions over the 12mph limit section were so bad that it was hard to maintain even that average. Ball’s machine struck the root of a tree, and the rear brake was damaged, this causing him to lose time and incidentally thirty marks. This trivial incident was sufficient to spoil the chances of the Douglas team. A spring of Gibson’s sidecar broke in this section—the only trouble encountered by the Clyno throughout the long trial…On reaching Garth a right-hand turn led to Panne Hill for the second stage of the consistent driving test. Comparing the performances on Panne Hill on Friday with those of Monday, it can definitely be stated that, so far from a falling off in power being noticeable, the machines showed improved performances. Certainly the strong but cold wind blowing was in favour of the riders. Many had the hill so well in hand that they toyed with the gradient, adjusting their speeds as their watches showed that they were too fast or too slow compared to Monday’s results. The passenger machine drivers in this

“The severe hairpin which precedes the long climb of Bwlch-y-Groes. FC Ball (2¾hp Douglas) is followed by a non-competitor on an Allon two-stroke.”

connection were at a distinct advantage, since their passengers counted of the seconds, and announced the position loudly for the benefit of the driver. All things considered, the ‘consistent’ driving test was not a success, introducing as it did the personal equation instead of confining the test to the qualities of the machine. A speed climb pure and simple would, in our judgment, have provided more interesting and valuable results…The end of the great trial of 1919 was at hand, but troubles were not over, for a lady standing in front of an important arrow on a corner caused several competitors to leave the course, including Colliver (Indian) and Baker (Scott). The former managed to return and catch up, but Baker had just encountered a crop of tyre troubles after a wonderfully consistent performance throughout the week. The canvas inside his rear cover had split, and was nipping inner tubes. A large crowd assembled to welcome the survivors home, a much depleted list, too, which is understandable considering the severe conditions, particularly the last day’s terrible roads. Opinion was divided as usual as to the relative severity of the test. Some thought Scottish hills the more severe; others were equally emphatic that the Welsh terrors were as bad as anything yet included in a trial, and all were agreed that the trial was a sporting one and well organised, with the exception of the ‘CDT’. Saturday was devoted to a thorough scrutiny of the competing machines by the judges, with a view to ‘condition’ marks being awarded. This year added importance was attached to the state of the surviving machines, and little or nothing escapes the eagle eyes of the judges. As the machines were examined ‘Done’ was chalked on the saddles and they were wheeled out into the keeping of the riders. Most straightway started for home by road to all parts of the country.

“The winning BSA team: LL Sealey, F Turvey and HF Edwards. Their performance was remarkably consistent. The Scott team: W Leslie Guy, Capt CP Wood, MC, and H0 Wood. They were second in the running for the team prize.”

Provisional results: 111 starters, 81 finished, 22 gold medals, 36 silver medals, 13 bronze medals, 9 no awards.
The team competition: Winning team, BSA (Team A), 557 marks; other team scores, Scott, 539; Rover, 535; Enfield, 526; Sunbeam, 521; Blackburne, 519; Matchless, 507; Morgan, 498; Douglas, 459; Triumph, 445; and James, 439.
Zenith, Ariel, P&M, AJS, New Imperial, and BSA (Team B) failed to finish with all riders.
Special prizes: Principality prize for best performance by a Welsh competitor, M Isaac (3½hp Rover), 184 marks.

☞Oliver (3½hp Sunbeam) mended seven punctures on Thursday, and finally burst a cover which caused him to retire.
☞CW Smith (3½hp Ariel) had a clean sheet up to sixteen miles from the finish on Friday—then came magneto trouble.
☞Before leaving Llandrindod Wells, Newman’s Sunbeam was again looking like a show model, thanks to the efforts of his wife, who spent the morning cleaning and polishing it.
☞It was amusing to see Tim Wood reverse his engine on the switch and try to drive backwards.
☞The switchboard in the sidecar of Haggas’s New Imperial is reminiscent of a power station.
☞Broken control wires and leaning sidecars suggest at least two points for improvement in new models.
☞It was generally agreed that Edmond’s performance on a single-cylinder machine with a heavy sidecar was deserving of every praise. He secured 180 marks, entitling him to a gold medal.
☞H Reed (8hp Dot sc) had the misfortune to break his sidecar chassis. He gamely carried on, and, arriving very late at Llandrindod, was loudly cheered by sympathetic competitors.
☞There is no unanimity among sidecar manufacturers on the point of the number of connections. Among the competitors’ machines were sidecars fitted with two, three, four, five, and six connections. The first mentioned machine survived the trial, and obtained a gold medal, proving our oft-repeated contention that the more or less flexible sidecar is not likely to break its chassis as the entirely rigid type.

“A Triumph and sidecar, the only single-cylinder passenger machine to secure a gold medal. FG Edmond, the successful driver, is seen on the extreme left, with (left to right) GE Stanley, head of the Triumph Experimental Department; J Gicker, a pre-war record-holder; and H Green, of the testing staff. The Douglas team: PW Moffat (3½hp spring frame), WB Gibb (2¾hp), and FG Ball (2¾hp).”

☞Mr JL Norton was a hard working helper on the course, and for several hundred miles carried his father, who is seventy-seven, as his passenger.
☞Several pre-war trials exponents were in evidence at Llandrindod Wells, some of whom were maimed in the war, including W Pratt, JN Longfield, and J Cocker.
☞It was particularly noticeable that a number of manufacturers were present, and that they appeared to take a keen interest in other people’s machines. This is a good augury for the future, and we hope to see beneficial results in 1920 models.
☞Haggas, who withdrew his New Imperial sidecar at Machynlleth on Thursday, had driven throughout with the greatest consistency, Norman Longfield occupying the sidecar seat. Due to a broken throttle lever, the passenger had to do the trick holding the throttle wire in his hand, but such going, over a most difficult stretch of the course, was found to be too risky, and thus an entirely clean sheet was spoiled.
☞Featherstonhaugh (3½hp Rover) hit a rock with his silencer and broke it off, consequently he had to finish with a free exhaust.
☞Design is a difficult subject to consider in allotting marks, but the surviving spring frame machines should certainly receive some special form of recognition in future events.
☞Enticknapp (Blackburne) fell in Swansea in trying to avoid a child. A dented mudguard, however, was the chief damage done.”
☞FW Applebee, or ‘Pa’ as he is affectionately called, made probably the most creditable showing of the whole trial. He piloted his 4¼hp BSA machine up the roughest hills with never a falter, was always on time, and its condition at the finish—an all-important point—was wonderful. ‘FW’ is actually fifty-nine years of age, and he is as keen as ever.

“’No Age Limit’—FW Applebee (‘Pa’), the oldest competitor. His age is 59, and he made a fine performance on his 4¼hp BSA, gaining a gold medal. Lost! Competitors in adversity—a study in facial expression. Some riders who ran off the course through a misplaced arrow.”

☞One man is reported to have dashed straight through a closed gate at the foot of a precipitous descent. The rotten and weather-beaten timber flew in all directions, and, as the rider’s balance was not upset, he carried on without loss of time, and the gap he left behind was much appreciated by those who followed!
☞Several Six Day competitors and a host of North- country sportsmen took part, and the Scott Co. hope that a larger entry than ever will be forthcoming next year; they, on their part, promise to find a still more difficult course.
☞At the conclusion of the trial, several of the competitors attempted to cross the River Wharfe at Burnsall, and fitted rubber extensions to the air- intake and silencer outlet, carrying them to the level of the handle-bars and carrier respectively. Capt CP Wood, after several fruitless attempts ending with his own Scott becoming water-logged in four feet of water, succeeded in finding a passage not deeper than the top of the wheels. Borrowing Wills’ 5-6hp James, he successfully crossed the river and returned.
☞Tim Wood, who ran fourth for the Trade Cup, and is thoroughly at home amongst the Yorkshire byways, made one complaint: “Too much main road.” There were about sixteen miles out of the eighty-two!
☞By a strange coincidence, the total of marks awarded the winning BSA team was 557—the capacity in cc of the engine used.